January 1, 2022
December 31, 2022
Environmental issues and controlling, mitigating them is becoming evermore important in the Zombo region in Uganda (more specifically the sub-counties Paidha and Atyak). Extensive, destructive usage of the soil and other natural resources, together with, among others, poor waste management cause more severe droughts, combined with the increase of spreading pests and diseases.
To raise awareness and reduce these negative impacts, the project “Eco Pesa” (Swahili for “Eco Money”) focusses therefore on environmental education and income generation through practical environmental conservation.
The project aims to increase awareness of the environment and spread new ways of saving resources and generating income in a sustainable way. This will be done by reaching out to schools, rural communities,… and offering trainings in these topics. By doing so, the project hopes to have a direct local impact on societies in combating climate change.
- Awareness raising in environmental conservation
- Awareness raising in schools
- Community awareness raising
- Formation of an environmental network
- Training in sustainable energy solutions
- Training in the construction of energy efficient stoves
- Training to build fireless cooking baskets
- Training in the production of charcoal dust briquettes and herbal soap
- Entrepreneurship and improved livelihoods
- Entrepreneurship training
- Tree nursery establishment and management
- Establishment of sales-centers for energy-efficient products
This project is made possible by several entities, first and foremost CO-OPERAID, a non-profit, politically and denominationally independent humanitarian association based in Zurich and Joint Energy and Environment Projects (JEEP).
This project furthermore depends on several other NGOs, such as Community Empowerment for Rural Development (CEFORD), Life Concern (LICO) and Nebbi District NGO Forum (NDNGOF).