World Desertification day in Isingiro district Western Uganda
On 16th and 17th of June 2015, JEEP staff Racheal, Kevine, Terah represented and participated in the World Day to combat Desertification celebration with other Environmental organisations held at Kibwera Primary School, Mabona ward,Isingiro town council in Isingiro district West of Uganda; This years’ theme was “Attainment of Food Security for All through Sustainable Food Systems”.
JEEP exhibited and demonstrated best agro forestry practices and boundary tree planting; Clean energy saving stoves (the mud stove, glow stove and salai cooker; affordable household water filters, solar lamps and the basket food cooker/flask technology
With this year slogan ‘No such thing as a free lunch; Invest in healthy soil’, 2015 observance calls were:
(1) A change in our land use practices through smart agriculture and adaptation to changing climate, especially in the dry fragile parts of the world where food shortages are becoming more and more severe.
(2) Access to technology and land rights for small holder farmers who safeguard the environment and meet the food needs of millions of households, especially among the poorest households.
(3) A balance in the land use for ecology and consumption, drawing on the best practices.
(4) More investments in sustainable land practices so that sustainable food systems become the normal practice and
(5) More effective action on desertification whose effects on security, peace and stability are invisible yet real for the affected countries due especially to food and water scarcity and environmentally forced migration.
Hon. Rwamirami Bright was the Guest of honour in charge of State Minister for Agriculture Animal industry and Fisheries.